The Moodie Report turns pink to support the Lauder group's BCA campaign
Source: ©The Moodie Report
By Rebecca Mann
The Estée Lauder Companies has announced the 20th Anniversary of its global Breast Cancer Awareness (BCA) Campaign. The 2012 campaign theme is Courage. Believe in a world without breast cancer. Know we’re here until it’s true.
This year’s bold, empowering message aims to highlight the group’s 20-year commitment to defeating breast cancer through education and medical research. It also celebrates the life and legacy of BCA Campaign Founder and Pink Ribbon co-creator, Mrs Evelyn H. Lauder, who passed away last November.
To show our solidarity with the campaign, The Moodie Report is turning its whole multi-media portfolio pink this month to support both the campaign and one of our key brand partners,The Estée Lauder Companies. Our home page masthead is all in pink, while our weekly e-Zine and Editor's Choice e-Newsletter will also take on a new hue.
This year’s bold, empowering message aims to highlight the group’s 20-year commitment to defeating breast cancer through education and medical research
To celebrate its 20th anniversary, The BCA Campaign will today kick off Breast Cancer Awareness month by ringing the Opening Bell at the New York Stock Exchange. The Estée Lauder Companies Executive Chairman William Lauder will join several ELC colleagues who have been personally touched by breast cancer, along with four researchers whose Breast Cancer Research Foundation® (BCRF) grants are underwritten by ELC.
Moreover, in honour of Evelyn Lauder’s life and legacy, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg will declare 1 October 2012 as “The Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Awareness (BCA) Campaign Day.”
In addition, the BCA Campaign will unveil its first-ever interactive exhibition, which will showcase its 20-year history, including the founding of the Pink Ribbon. From 1-3 October, the interactive exhibition will be open to the public and stationed in New York City in front of the GM Building on Fifth Avenue, between 58th and 59th Streets. The exhibition will highlight key milestones and achievements, global landmark illuminations, digital initiatives, articles and archived videos and photographs, among other artefacts.
The 2012 milestone BCA Campaign is dedicated to the tremendous courage of Evelyn Lauder and her unwavering commitment to eradicate breast cancer, the company explained. In 1992, Evelyn launched The Estée Lauder Companies’ BCA Campaign to raise awareness for the disease, encouraging women everywhere to practise breast health, while working tirelessly to raise funds for the critical research needed to find a cure.
Twenty years later, The BCA Campaign continues to carry on Evelyn Lauder’s mission, inspiring women and men alike to find the courage and encourage others to tenaciously fight for a world free of breast cancer.
The BCA Campaign is active today in more than 70 countries, has raised more than US$35 million to fund 140 Breast Cancer Research Foundation® grants for medical research, and this year alone supports 13 research grants across the globe. The BCA Campaign will continue spreading its lifesaving awareness message globally in the hope of a world in which breast cancer no longer exists.
Left to right: Fabrizio Freda, Elizabeth Hurley, the late Evelyn Lauder and William Lauder don the now-famous Pink Ribbon
The 2012 BCA Campaign was conceived by Jim Nevins, Senior Vice President, Global Creative Director of Clinique and Aubyn Gwinn, Executive Director, Clinique Print Design, with images photographed by Patric Shaw.
William Lauder noted: “I am honoured to dedicate this year’s BCA Campaign to my mother, Evelyn Lauder, a courageous pioneer. We also want to commemorate all those who have shown courage – whether personally facing breast cancer, bravely standing by a loved one inflicted with the disease, or fearlessly spreading the word about breast health.
William Lauder, Leonard Lauder and Fabrizio Freda support the group's high-profile Global Landmark Illuminations Initiative
“We are proud to look back at the enormous progress that The Estée Lauder Companies has made over the last twenty years in educating millions of people globally about the importance of breast health, and that early detection saves lives. I believe my mother would emphasise that the 2012 BCA Campaign empowers us all to be courageous in the face of this terrible disease, persevere in the fight against it – and believe in a future free of it.”
The Estée Lauder Companies President and CEO Fabrizio Freda added: “Evelyn Lauder’s determination and commitment to The BCA Campaign lives on in our employees, consumers, retail partners and corporate stakeholders who continuously demonstrate Evelyn’s high-touch dedication and passion to take action against this disease.
“The BCA Campaign is devoted to defeating breast cancer through education and medical research, and this year’s call to action for “courage” universally resonates with audiences across generations, cultures and communities. On the 20th Anniversary of The BCA Campaign, I am proud that our Company remains steadfast providing the latest information in breast health education and raising critical funds for medical research, so we can end breast cancer in our lifetime.”
The Origins brand showcases its limited-edition Pink Ribbon products
During October, the BCA Campaign will reach countless people worldwide, through a variety of different media. In 2011 alone, The BCA Campaign touched millions through its press outreach with its lifesaving awareness message.
This year the Campaign will:
- Distribute millions of the iconic BCA Pink Ribbons at the counters of The Estée Lauder Companies’ brands worldwide, adding to the 115 million Pink Ribbons distributed to date.
- Spread the word about early detection and breast health globally, adding to the millions of educational bookmarks and brochures distributed to date.
- Offer Pink Ribbon products through many of The Estée Lauder Companies’ sought-after beauty brands to raise funds for medical research.
- Illuminate numerous buildings, monuments and landmarks all over the world in glowing pink lights, focusing attention on the importance of breast health and that early detection saves lives. In 2010, The BCA Campaign proudly established a first-ever Guinness World Record for “Most Landmarks Illuminated for a Cause in 24 Hours.”
- Activate high-profile influencers worldwide as Ambassadors for The Campaign’s World Pink Ribbon Ambassador (WPRA) Initiative.
As part of this year’s campaign, ELC has announced the launch of a global social marketing campaign, “20 Years of COURAGE: Past.Present.Future.” The campaign revolves around a collaborative, interactive Facebook Timeline on The ELC BCA Campaign’s Facebook page, which will feature 20 years of milestones of being devoted to defeating breast cancer through education and medical research. It will also invite individuals worldwide to share their own personal milestones and encouraging messages of how they’ve been touched by breast cancer. Users will be able to upload text and/or images and choose a date in the past, present or future that corresponds with their distinct milestone. A real-time aggregator will pull in conversations, images and videos surrounding breast cancer from Twitter, Instagram and Viddy via the hashtag #BCA20, powered by social aggregation tool, Feedmagnet.
In addition, the BCA Campaign will donate US$1 to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® for every post on The BCA Campaign’s interactive timeline on Facebook during the month of October, up to a maximum of $25,000.
For information, visit www.bcacampaign.com
As always, The Estée Lauder Companies has created a selection of limited-edition pink products, to raise both awareness and funds for the BCA Campaign. Among the highlights this year is an Evelyn Lauder and Elizabeth Hurley Dream Lip Collection, which will be available at selected Estée Lauder counters in European and Middle Eastern travel retail.
The set features a full-size Pure Color Lipstick in Candy, a shade chosen by Evelyn Lauder, and a Pure Color Gloss in Pink Innocence, chosen by Elizabeth Hurley. They are presented in a pink snakeskin-printed clutch. The Gloss is decorated with the 2012 Pink Ribbon design, with a touch of blue to represent the approximately 1% of all breast cancer cases in the US that are diagnosed in men.
Also available in selected travel retail doors is a special 50ml version of the brand’s Perfectionist CP+R, decorated with a Pink Ribbon key chain/charm, and the Evelyn Lauder Dream Pin, adorned with one pink and one blue stone. Lastly, there is a World Duty Free Group exclusive, in the form of a pink 100ml La Mer The Hand Treatment.
FACTS AND FIGURES ABOUT BREAST CANCER
- According to the latest data available, breast cancer is by far the most common cancer diagnosed in women. In 2008, an estimated 1.38 million women around the world were newly diagnosed with the disease.
- Breast cancer is the most common cause of cancer in women, excluding skin cancer. The chance of a woman being diagnosed with breast cancer some time during her life is 1 in 8.
- While women are at greater risk, approximately 1% of all breast cancer cases in the US are diagnosed in men.
- It is estimated that 5% to 10% of breast cancers can be attributed to genetic predisposition.
- For average-risk asymptomatic women in their 20s and 30s, it is recommended that a clinical breast exam (CBE) be a part of a regular health examination. For women 40 years of age and older, an annual CBE can be an important complement to mammography.
- Women age 40 and older should have a screening mammogram. While mammograms can miss some cancers, they are still a very effective way to find breast cancer.
- In 2012, the American Cancer Society estimates that 226,870 new cases of invasive breast cancer (Stages I-IV) were diagnosed among women in the US, with 39,510 deaths.
- The National Cancer Institute estimates that approximately 2.6 million US women with a history of breast cancer were alive in January 2008, more than half of whom were diagnosed less than 10 years earlier.
MORE ABOUT THE BCRF
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® (BCRF), founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, is an independent not-for-profit organisation committed to funding scientific research to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime. In October 2011, BCRF awarded US$36.5 million to 187 scientists across the US, Canada, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Australia and China. With over 90 cents of every dollar donated currently being directed to breast cancer research and awareness programmes, the BCRF continues to remain one of the most fiscally responsible charities in the country. The BCRF holds a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, its tenth such designation since 2002. Additionally, the BCRF is the only cancer organisation designated as “A+” by CharityWatch. For more information about BCRF, visit www.bcrfcure.org